Monday, April 14, 2008

My Son William,

We have had little Correspondence over the past revolutionary Years, as you had chosen the opposite side of your Father despite my urgings. Those Years are over, are you now to accept your Father, as you once did, before this Rift broke out between us? You were proud to have me before due to my accomplishments in writing, inventions, and science, maybe now you will again because again I have found Success in our Revolution.

Tho' we were both on opposing Sides of the Cause, and I clearly knew your views did not follow mine Own, I never called you Torrie. I had wish'd tho' and hoped that you would realize the Virtue and good Purpose before it triumphed and join in the Cause. Also that in not joining, it was because you did not realize the true goodness of the Cause and all it would bring. As you are my Son I will give you the Benefit rather than Doubt.

We, I say we meaning Myself and my fellow Patriots, have won this war for Liberty and Independence, and I honestly and sincerely Hope and Desire that you will come to realize the immense Goodness and Possibilities that have come from the process of this Revolution and will come from the New Leadership. I have worked for This, and as your Father hope that you indulge in it and learn to appreciate It. Hereafter, I wish that you would, as you are now living in it without choice, will come to feel as though a Part of this which your own Father has worked to achieve.

I remain even now your humble Father,

B. Franklin

No comments:

Contributors