Monday, July 21, 2008

Virtue

I chose to practice the virtue of Resolution, because I don't feel like I make that many, and often when I do I don't follow completely through with them. Franklin defines the virtue of resolution with two short simple sentences: "Resolve to preform what you ought. Preform without fail what you resolve." I hope I do well with this because it seems like something I already should be doing.

Sunday:
Today I made a pretty simple resolve, but it wasn't the easiest to keep however. I resolved to not get frustrated with my siblings on the long ride to and from church. It is about an hour and a half ride one way, and I have six younger siblings, so it can get a little crazy and I often get stressed out, but today I think I did pretty well. They kicked my seat, got loud, and put (accidentally) a dirty shoe on my book, but I took a few deep breaths and just read some of Ashley's Autobiography.

Monday:
Today I resolved to make my bed all week. I kind of slack off in that area and my mom doesn't like it too much. So I made my bed, but otherwise I didn't do anything special. Not the best day.

Tuesday:
I made my bed! I'm finding this more difficult than I thought at first because I don't know what to resolve. I don't want to just make something up, but I'm getting a little desperate!

Wednesday:
Franklin said "Resolve to preform what you ought." So if I just resolve to do every chore and help out when I should, does that count? Anyway, that's what I did for today.

Thursday:
So today was another failure to think of something good to resolve to do, but I do all the regular things I'm supposed to do today; including making my bed, and making the bed for Ashley to sleep in with new clean sheets and all that. =]

Friday:
Today I did all the usual things again, but I did resolve something else! I've been meaning to start running again and get back in shape, and so, I figured now was a good time to start. So, I did. =]

Saturday:
Today was bad. I didn't go running because I got some bad news and didn't really feel like doing much of anything, and didn't. Kind of a bad way to end the week, but the circumstances weren't so great, however, virtues are virtues and should probably be practiced at all times. Most people don't usually like excuses. I plan to continue my running resolution though tomorrow.

Evaluation:
I think besides my last day I did pretty well. It was hard trying to think of something to resolve every day, but eventually I decided to think of everyday as one big resolution to do my best at "preforming what I ought". That might seem pretty simple but it isn't always as simple as it seems. And besides my last day, I did try every day to follow through.

1 comment:

Christine Wright said...

Hmm... I never make my bed. Sometimes I have to to bed able to fall asleep. Like, if my bed is unmade for a long time I make it so its all comfy for when I go to sleep. Anyway, good job, you spent a lot of time writing all of that :)

Contributors